Wednesday, May 23, 2007

(C)Rap Music

I'm listening to Laura Ingraham who's interviewing Russell Simmons, one of the fathers of hip-hop who also created Def-Jam records. He's calling Akon, a rapper who uses the F, H, C, P, S-word (among others) an artist and a poet who needs to express himself. This same 'artist' sexually molested a 14-year old on stage at a concert, bruising her. After this, Akon was dropped by Verizon wireless as a tour sponsor.

Russell calls rap lyrics a reflection, but not a shaper of our culture. Give me a break! And even if that were entirely true (Is it truly a reflection of our U.S. culture?), how are these words appropriate for children, women, well, practically ANYONE?! I cannot fathom the cultural differences between white middle america and poor black america, but I can assuredly believe that these differences can be explained in song without profanity and degrating language to women! I, and Laura Ingraham is included in this, firmly believe that we have the power to change culture. Rap music has absolutely done this! You don't see teenagers (white boys included) who wear baggy pants, backwards baseball caps, and "bling" who walk around quoting Johnny Cash, do you?

Russell - "I'm not offended by words". Oh really, then you must have approved Imus' nappy-headed h* statement (he didn't)? Not that I approve at all of what Imus said, but you can't pinpoint a difference between Imus and Akon statements if you aren't offended by words in general.

Mr. Simmons believes that parents should be the educating force for my children. This is a very valid statement. So when I decide to have children, I will absolutely be educating them that rap is offensive, degrating, and musically unneccessary.

No comments: