Wednesday, June 20, 2007

No, I don't. Yes, I'm sure.

No, I do not want to be a nurse.

Yes, I do realize that my degree program at school allows me the opportunity to obtain a CNA license, and receiving that is the first step in becoming a registered nurse.

Yes, I do realize that any registered nurse would make more money than me initially after graduation and with that prospective money I could buy a nicer car than say, if I had less money. I believe that is how basic economy works.

Yes, I am sure I do not want to be a nurse. Stop asking me!

How am I sure? I hate blood, that's why. Snot, pee, crap, puke, phlegm and any other bodily fluid/matter I can deal with but blood, I cannot. Not long ago when in training for my new job, I was shown and then asked to prick my trainer's finger. I believe that the terminology used to bring blood to the fingertip (thus making it easier to draw blood once the finger is pricked) was called "Milk the blood". I felt woozy and wanted to cry but did it anyway. It was awful. My trainer was barely pricked and asked if I had actually done it. I ignored her and squeezed her fingertip to draw blood out and then tested it like I was shown. It is my biggest and most sincere desire to never have to do that again.

With that being said, let's assume hypothetically that I will actually do what you ask and become a nurse. When you are sick and ask me for help, I hope that you aren't bleeding. If so, one or more of the following scenarios will occur -

1. I will say - "EWWW! AAAAAH! I'm getting someone else, I don't feel so good."

2. I will say nothing and drop like a fly.

3. I will puke. Then cry. Then puke again. Then I will clean it up myself because that sort of thing doesn't bother me.

If you need your nose wiped, I will do it. Diaper change? Count me in. If you need me to get napkins for you to spit your phlegm in, I'll run for that immediately. Heck, I'll even empty your commode with no complaint.

But please do not ask me to prick your finger. And do not tell me I should become a nurse instead of a health/social work employee, because I AM SURE that is not what I want to do with my life.


Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Milk the blood"? I seriously just threw up. I will not allow you to become a nurse. Because that's sick and gross and not fun.

--Sue