Monday, August 01, 2005

Yes, I Am a Hick

Yes, I am a country hick. A momentarily displaced hick, but a hick nonetheless. After living in the cities for what seems to be a century so far, I have come to embrace my hick-ness. These engraved characteristics and behaviors has previously been items of shame, but not anymore. So for now, before I forget, I will lay out the reasons as to why I'm proud to be a hick.

- I like Garth Brooks and the Dixie Chicks.

- In my former farm community, my high school was in the middle of a corn field, nine miles from the nearest town.
- It is possible at night to see the stars! LOTS of them! Can you do that in the city? I think not!
- Traffic Jams only occur when five vehicles are stuck behind a John Deere.
- When having a bonfire outside, it is necessary to keep your food in check so a coyote doesn't come from behind and grab it.
- Having school cancelled because of fog is always great!
- I can drive a pickup truck and not look like an idiot.
- When driving down the highway, you can tell what kind of farms are around just by the smell.
- When I graduated high school, I knew the first AND last names of every student in my grade.
- Homes, on average, cost $40,000. My first home in the country was three stories with a basement and large garage. It cost my mom $16,000.
- In certain towns, there are more bat problems than mouse problems.
- When giving directions to a farm, you say things like "Go 1.6 miles NE, turn left at the big blue silo, then go .7 miles W"
- Farm driveways are a 1/2 mile long.
- Our idea of fun "back in the day" was to drive to abandoned farms and just chat.
- When traveling to the homeland this past weekend, I was ridiculed for owning a cell phone.
- The only planes flying overhead are crop sprayers.

1 comment:

Christopher Trottier said...

That's not hick, that's damn cool -- and I've lived in the suburbs all my life.